Friday, July 24, 2015

Music Friday: Dion Helps Us Celebrate July's Birthstone With His 1963 Hit, 'Ruby Baby'

Welcome to Music Friday when we bring nostalgic tunes with jewelry, gemstones or precious metals in the title or lyrics. Today, Dion helps us celebrate July's official birthstone with his 1963 hit, "Ruby Baby."

dion1

In this song of unrequited love, Dion croons about a girl who may be out of reach. He sings, "I got a girl and Ruby is her name / She don't love me, but I love her just the same / Ruby Baby how I want you / Like a ghost I'm gonna haunt you / Ruby Baby when will you be mine?"

Written by the dynamic hit-generating duo of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, "Ruby Baby" ranks a close second to the Rolling Stones' "Ruby Tuesday" on our list of the most famous "ruby" songs ever.

"Ruby Baby" was originally recorded in 1956 by The Drifters, who watched it rise to #10 on the R&B charts. By when Dion released his version in 1963 it zoomed to #2 on the broad-based U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart and remained in the Top 40 for 11 weeks. The song brought Dion worldwide fame.

Dion DiMucci, who celebrated his 76th birthday last week and continues to tour, launched his career as the frontman for Dion and the Belmonts in the late 1950s. The group's name was derived from the fact that the four singers all lived on or near Belmont Avenue in the Bronx, N.Y.

Dion would go on to have a successful solo career that has transformed him from a handsome teen idol to a widely respected grandfather of Rock & Roll. He was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1989.

We hope you enjoy this clip of Dion performing "Ruby Baby" on Late Night With David Letterman. The lyrics are below if you'd like to sing along...

"Ruby Baby"
Written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. Performed by Dion.

I got a girl and Ruby is her name
She don't love me, but I love her just the same
Ruby Baby how I want you
Like a ghost I'm gonna haunt you
Ruby Baby when will you be mine?

Each time I see you baby my heart cries
I'm gonna steal you away from all those guys
From the sunny day I met you
Made a bet that I would get you
Ruby Baby when will you be mine?

I got a girl and Ruby is her name
I'd give the world just to set her heart aflame
Got some lovin' money too
Gonna give it all to you
Ruby Baby when will you be mine?

Images via DionDiMucci.com (Dion's official website)

No comments: