Friday, March 08, 2013

Music Friday: The Black Keys Rock Out to 'Gold on the Ceiling'

Welcome to Music Friday when we bring you terrific tunes with jewelry, gemstones or precious metals in the title or lyrics. Today we have The Black Keys performing their 2012 hit, "Gold on the Ceiling," from the band's Grammy Award-winning album, El Camino.

image

Offering high praise to The Black Keys' retro stylings, a Los Angeles Times critic said the song "sounds as if it's existed forever." Other pundits alternately described the song as "a serrated organ growl backed up with a SWAT team of hand claps" and "a paranoid rant that makes you shiver while you shimmy."

The truth is that since its release in February of 2012 "Gold on the Ceiling" has become a critical and commercial success. It zoomed to number one on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart while infiltrating the world of sports entertainment. 

image

It was used in a TV ad campaign for the 2012 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament, the video game "MLB 12: The Show," and video montages during NBC's coverage of the 2012 Summer Olympics. Currently, "Gold on the Ceiling" is the theme song for NASCAR: Race Day on SPEED.

With Dan Auerbach on guitar and lead vocals, and Patrick Carney on the drums, The Black Keys are at the top of their game. The official video at the bottom of this post has been viewed more than 11 million times. The lyrics are below if you'd like to sing along. Enjoy!

"Gold on the Ceiling"

Written by Dan Auerbach, Patrick Carney and Brian Burton. Performed by The Black Keys.

Down in the waves
She screams again
Roar at the door
My mind can't take much more

I could never drown

They wanna get my
They wanna get my
Gold on the ceiling
I ain't blind 
It's just a matter of time
Before you steal it
It's alright
Ain't no guard in my house

Clouds cover love
Barbed wire snarl
Strung up, strung out
I just can't go without

I could never drown

They wanna get my
They wanna get my
Gold on the ceiling
I ain't blind 
It's just a matter of time
Before you steal it
It's alright
Aint no guard in' my house

They wanna get my
They wanna get my
Gold on the ceiling
I ain't blind 
It's just a matter of time
Before you steal it
It's alright
Ain't no guard in my house
Gold on the ceiling
I ain't blind 
It's just a matter of time
Before you steal it
It's alright
Ain't no guard in my house



No comments: