Friday, December 07, 2012

Music Friday: Kylie Minogue Asks 'Santa Baby' for 'One Little Thing, A Ring' in This Classic Holiday Tune

It's Music Friday, and once again we bring you famous songs that have jewelry, gemstones or precious metals in the lyrics or the title. Today's offering is "Santa Baby," a holiday-season favorite since it was introduced by the legendary Eartha Kitt in 1953.

image

In the song, a young lady with an affection for the finer things in life tells Santa what's on her Christmas list and why he needs to "hurry down the chimney tonight." Besides a fur coat, a light blue convertible and a yacht, she'd like the deed to a platinum mine and decorations bought at Tiffany's. At the end of the song, she says that she "forgot to mention one little thing, a ring (I don't mean on the phone)."

Covered numerous times by artists as diverse as Madonna, Taylor Swift and Miss Piggy, "Santa Baby" never seems to get old. Even Michael Bublé covered the song for his 2011 holiday album, Christmas. Some of the lyrics were changed to give a more masculine feel, such as referring to Santa as "Buddy" instead of "Baby."

One of our favorite versions of "Santa Baby" is this 2010 live performance by the Aussie songstress Kylie Minogue at Rockefeller Plaza in New York City. The lyrics are below if you'd like to sing along.

"Santa Baby"

Written by Joan Javits and Philip Springer. Performed by Kylie Minogue.

Santa baby, slip a sable under the tree, for me
I've been an awful good girl, Santa baby
So hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa baby, a '54 convertible, too, light blue
Well I'll wait up for you, dear, Santa baby
So hurry down the chimney tonight, yeah

Think of all the fun I've missed
Think of all the boys I haven't kissed
Next year I could be just as good
If you check off my Christmas list

Santa baby, I want a yacht and really that's not a lot
I've been an angel all year, Santa baby
So hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa, honey, there's one more thing I really do need, the deed
To a platinum mine, Santa honey
So hurry down the chimney tonight

Come and trim my Christmas tree
With some decorations bought at Tiffany's
I really do believe in you
Let's see if you believe in me

Santa baby, forgot to mention one little thing
A ring
And I don't mean on the phone, Santa baby
So hurry down the chimney tonight



No comments: