Friday, February 10, 2023

Music Friday: Only One of the Merrell Twins Got a Ring for Valentine's Day

Welcome to Music Friday when we bring you fun songs with jewelry, gemstones or precious metals in the lyrics or title. In their 2016 ditty called "It's Valentine's Day," YouTube sensations and identical twins Veronica and Vanessa Merrell poke fun at why their peers might absolutely love or hate the holiday.

For the Merrell Twins, the joy or misery of Valentine's Day comes down to whether or not one has a bae. In this case, Vanessa is getting dressed up to celebrate with a boyfriend she really loves, while Veronica is relegated to throwing on some sweats and watching Netflix alone.

Vanessa's boyfriend gifts her a giant teddy bear, a heart-shaped box of chocolate and diamond jewelry. Veronica comes up empty.

Vanessa sings, "My valentine also gave me a lovely ring."
Veronica replies, "Oh, good for you. I still didn't get anything."

They throw in a comic twist when they sing, "It's Valentine's Day / And I really really love (hate) this day," with Vanessa singing the "love" lyric at the same time Veronica sings "hate."

At the end of the song, the tides turn when Veronica reminds her sister that she's forgotten to buy a Valentine's Day gift for her boyfriend. Now the vengeful Veronica is overjoyed while her sister is stressed out.

In their YouTube description of the video, the sisters call "It's Valentine's Day" a cheesy song, but their followers obviously liked it. The video has been viewed 18.7 million times.

The sisters were just 19 year old when the video premiered on YouTube. Since then, the unlucky-in-love Veronica married fellow YouTuber Aaron Burriss (2021) and sister Vanessa announced her engagement to musician John Vaughn (2022).

Born in Kansas City, MO, the Merrell Twins moved to Los Angeles when they were 16 to pursue acting careers and to work on content for their YouTube channel, which they launched as 13-year-olds in 2009.

Today, the sisters boast 6.17 million YouTube subscribers and 1.4 billion total views. The Merrell Twins enjoyed recurring roles on the popular TV show Jane the Virgin and frequently appear in AwesomenessTV videos.

Please check out the video of the Merrell Twins performing "It's Valentine's Day." The lyrics are below if you'd like to sing along…

"It's Valentine's Day"
Written by Veronica and Vanessa Merrell. Performed by the Merrell Twins.

It's Valentine's Day
A day to be happy when you have a bae
It's Valentine's Day
A day to remind you that you have no bae

I'll eat a lot of chocolate
I didn't get chocolate
All these roses smell very nice

It's Valentine's Day
And I really really love (hate) this day

I've got a date with someone that I love
I've got some dates you know that kind of nut (I think that's a fruit)

I have a red dress that I'm going to wear tonight
I'm going to wear a T-shirt and sweats tonight, and watch Netflix all by myself

Today's a happy (crappy) day

It's Valentine's Day
A day to be happy when you have a bae

It's Valentine's Day
A day to remind you that you have no bae

Do you want some chocolate?
No it'll give me acne
All these roses smell very nice

It's Valentine's Day
And I really really love (hate) this day

My valentine got me a big giant teddy bear
Well this is my dog and he looks like a teddy bear
(Kinda, not really)

My valentine also gave me a lovely ring
Oh, good for you. I still didn't get anything
I still have nothing

Today's a happy (crappy) day

It's Valentine's Day
A day to be happy when you have a bae

It's Valentine's Day
A day to remind you that you have no bae

I ate all of my chocolate
I bought myself some chocolate
All these roses smell very nice

It's Valentine's Day
And I really really love (hate) this day

Valentine's Day is a dream come true
At least I get to spend this day with you

"Um no I just told you I'm going on a date tonight
Were you not paying attention to this song?"

"I was but okay what are you going to get your Valentine?"

"Uh, oh no"

It's Valentine's Day
Now I have to get something for my bae
I still have money cause I have no bae

Should I buy him chocolate?
He just bought you chocolate
How about a sweater?
You can do so much better
Now I'm starting to stress out

Cause it's Valentine's Day
And I have to get something for my…
I don't have to worry 'bout a… bae

Credits: Screen captures via YouTube / merrelltwins.

No comments: